Association of International Certified Professional Accountants and CPA.com Startup Accelerator
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.” — Peter Drucker
Change will never be as slow as it is right now. The accounting and finance profession of the future will look very different than it does today. We’re already having to adapt to changes related to regulatory compliance, task automation, AI, blockchain, and more.
The Association and CPA.com Startup Accelerator helps grow startups throughout the accounting ecosystem so they can help transform the profession. Our aim is to strengthen the ability of individual accountants or finance teams to be the go-to analysts, strategists and consultants that are indispensable to organizations throughout the world.
Meet our 2019 cohort
- Client Hub – Gainesville, FL – all in one workspace for accountants and clients to share information
- Dryrun - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – cash flow management and financial forecasting software
- Gappify – San Francisco, CA - automating time consuming, repetitive tasks and streamlining processes for corporate accounting teams
What types of companies are we looking for?
We’re focused on two specific themes, both of which ultimately help the profession perform and add value at a higher level:
1. FinTech — Practical tools and platforms that help finance professionals and teams shift their focus to value-add work rather than routine tasks.
Examples may include but are not limited to:
- Automating routine accounting tasks
- Establishing a role in blockchain data and information sharing
- Using artificial intelligence to augment human decision-making
2. EdTech — Tools and platforms that help accounting and finance professionals and their teams develop, grow, and measure new competencies.
Examples may include but are not limited to:
- Use of machine learning to personalize education
- Measuring the growth of professional competence
- Connecting experts, mentors, mentees
What we're offering
Selected startups will be offered $25,000 each, subject to agreement of commercial terms, to work with the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants and CPA.com as part of this year’s accelerator cohort. Commercial terms are previewed in the sample convertible promissory note and memorandum of understanding.
Startups will be given access to the firms, members and customers that will help their businesses grow.
We will provide subject-matter expertise, coaching and mentoring on the profession to help each startup in this year’s cohort succeed.
Advisory panel participants:
- Atif Ansari, CPA, CGMA, CMA, ACMA – Founder and President, Piik Insights
- Gary Boomer, CPA, CGMA, CITP – Founder, Boomer Consulting, Inc.
- Amy Radin – Marketing and Innovation Executive and Author
- David Cieslak, CPA, CITP – Chief Cloud Officer and EVP, RKL eSolutions LLC
- Ian Hanning, FCMA, CGMA – CFO, PC Bank
- Jenni M. Huotari, CPA – Director, Business Outsourcing & Strategy, Eide Bailly
- Ron Quaranta – CEO, Wall Street Blockchain Alliance
- Mike Sabbatis – CEO, XCM Solutions
- Sabrina Parsons – CEO, Palo Alto Software
General guidelines and eligibility
- Seed or pre-Series A, with some exceptions
- Must have a functioning product or service
- Focused on FinTech or EdTech solutions
- November 30, 2018 - applications due
- December 12-13, 2018 (virtual) - Select applicants will be invited to pitch to Association and CPA.com executives. Up to five startups will be selected for the cohort. Upon selection, the full accelerator program is ~6 months.
- February 2019 (location TBD) - The cohort will convene in-person for two days of learning and mentoring. The Advisory Panel will attend this session.
- February - June 2019 (virtual and in person) - ongoing coaching calls and meetings with each startup to continue providing guidance, expertise, access to applicable channels, and feedback on growth plans and progress.
For questions and inquiries regarding submitting an application please contact: Mark Brooks, Associate Director, Innovation and Strategic Partnerships, email@example.com, or Kacee Johnson, CPA.com, Strategic Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Startup Accelerator Alumni 2018
- TrueUp – Uses gamification to help companies assess the technical skills of job candidates and improve the skills of current employees
- RegroupTax – Built a cloud-based program and app that creates workpapers for business tax preparation with a trial balance feature
- Pluma – Offers a professional development platform pairing working professionals with experienced executive coaches through in-app messaging and video sessions, accessible by computer or mobile device
- North Capital – Marketplace solutions and advisory firm whose technology platform allows broker-dealers, funding platforms, and issuers to conduct online private securities offerings